My Blog about the various things I like and some of the things I discover from time to time.


My XM Satellite Radio Experience

I fought the urge to go satellite for about 2 years, then caved.

My set-up is custom made for me, 99% of listening is done in my home, so that is where I made it just for me.

I have a Roady 2 (my 3rd, more about that later), and that is hooked up to Advent wireless headphones.

I listen mostly in the morning while working on my eBay orders for the day, start off with the news, and switch to the 60's on (channel) 6 with Phlash Phelps until noon. From noon till 3 eastern it's Ron and Fez, a talk show that I have listened to since the late 80's when they were on when I lived in the Tampa Bay area on 95 WYNF. They moved around a lot and am glad to be able to hear them again even though I am in NE Ohio, that is where the satellite comes in great.

Why pay for music when it is free on the radio? Several things, no commercials, and while driving on a trip the signal doesn't fade out so I can listen to my favorites without having to search every 2 hours and only hoping to fun something I like.

And now for the Roady 2 receiver problems, this is my 3rd unit, and it is shot too, I have the power plug precariously propped up so it works, just look at it wrong and it shuts off, good thing I have a remote control, so I can't use it in the car anymore, so I need to replace it.

They just aren't made to be plugged in and unplugged on a daily basis, from the house, to the car and back. There are 3 plugs, power, output to the radio, or amp, and the antenna plug.

My 1st unit bought the farm the 2nd day I had it, I dropped it and the power plug snapped off inside the unit, my fault.

I bought the next 2 units on eBay for like $5 each, the 2nd one broke after 3 months, the power connection again the problem, so I bought the 3rd that I have now, same problem, but I can still make it work.

I think the next one will be a unit that has a 'docking station' that will not have to be plugged in and unplugged on a daily basis, less likely for the plugs to break.

Also, they have some with an mp3 player, that would be good to record 'Coast to Coast', the program that I like that is on from 1 - 5 am eastern so it would record that while I sleep to listen later.

Overall, I like the sound and it has made things nicer for me, just the Roady 2 is not a good unit, they don't sell it anymore, eBay is a good place to get them cheap, but I will be on the lookout for a better unit. Will update later.

No comments: